Plan Your Trip
Tour to Panjim(Panaji)
Holiday Tour
The Church Of St. Francis Xavier, Panjim(Panaji)Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary, Panjim(Panaji)Calangute Beach, Panjim(Panaji)The Chapel Of St. Catherine, Panjim(Panaji)Corambolin Lake, Panjim(Panaji)Miramar Beach, Panjim(Panaji)Condolim Beach, Panjim(Panaji)

Welcome to Panjim(Panaji),

It is Called Panjim by the Portuguese, Panaji, which means "the land that does not flood" is the state capital of Goa. Unlike many capital cities, Panaji has a distinct unhurried character. It is situated on the southern banks of the Mandovi River, which makes this town all the more charming.

The area around Panjim attracts far fewer visitors than the coastal resorts, yet its paddy fields and wooded valley harbour several attractions worth a day or two's break from the beach. It is famous for its enormous churches and beaches.

Holiday Tour
Famous Places in Panjim(Panaji)
visit 18th June
visit 9 BarPopular
visit CaravelaPopular
visit CongoPopular
visit Fontainhas
visit Geoffrey's
visit La Plage
visit MG RoadPopular
visit Mayem Lake
visit Ozone Pub
visit Pine ShackPopular
visit Rust
visit Sao Tome
visit Villa Sol

10 Downing Street

The word pub often brings forth the image of small overcrowded room where people jostling for space enjoy drinks with their friends. However, at 10 Downing Street the conventional image of the old pub falls apart and the elegant interiors entice the visitors for a longer association. The place offers not only a heady mix of cocktails but also great and authentic food from almost every part of the world. It is common to see a content American or even a Frenchman walking out of 10 Downing Street praising the food served. Group party or single enjoyment, TDS has one solution for all. Add the benefit of discount and merchandise for sale and the enjoyment becomes more exciting.

18th June

18 Jun is a memorable day in the history of Goa liberation and the importance of the day is visible on every aspect of Goa wherein the date is stamped on an important street, hotels, restaurants, boats and even football teams. 18 Jun Street is the main shopping arena for the Goans. The 18th June in Panjim is a busy street right at the center of Panjim offering numerous shopping options to the visitors. Numerous shops, stalls as well as modern showrooms artifacts, handicraft goods, textile items, liquors, electronics goods apart from regular daily needs are available aplenty at the street.

9 Bar

The cliffs overlooking the Vagator beach hold a treasure chest called 9 Bar, the fantastic joint which boasts of some of the best crowd in Goa. The action starts at 6 PM and gets into full swing at around 10 PM. This is when the music is set to the techno beat and the atmosphere takes the cue from the party crowd that pours in to this fantastic bar. The cocktails available and the bartender's antics just add more zing to the fun. Infact there are many regular visitors who use this place as a launching pad for creating hot spots among the like minded and take off for an overnight gang revelry.

Apna Bazaar

Apna Bazar literally translates into "Our Market" implying the sense of belongingness the market is expected to evoke amongst its customers. The multi-storied market in Vasco has been the center of attraction for Goans. The entire building has been designed a commercial complex which houses several offices and shops. The shops provide goods from daily needs to even designer apparels and other electronics goods. The building is being utilised as a multi utility entity and apart from the regular offices, security, restaurant and shopping arena also houses a few apartments at one of its sides.

Archaeological Museum and Portrait Gallery

The museum has been functioning since 1964 in the abandoned convent of St. Francis of Assisi and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). The collection consists of Brahmanical sculptures hero-stones and sati stones of the early and late medieval periods, portraits, coins and currency, revenue and court fee stamps, wooden and bronze sculptures and armoury of the Portuguese period.

- Rejuvenating The Look : The Museum was rearranged and reorganised completely in connection with the CHOGM Retreat in Goa during 1982. A long hall lying to the left side of the entrance to the Museum was converted into 2 galleries by laying RCC floor with a newly constructed wide staircase at the extreme west to facilitate access to the first floor.

- The Key Gallery : The key gallery in the ground floor serves as an introduction to the nature of exhibits in the museum. As one enters the key gallery the visitor is introduced to the short history of Goa in the form of an open book placed on a pedestal. The plan of the museum is on the left sidewall. Taking right turn one comes across a wall showcase containing middle and upper Paleolithic stone tools, Microliths and a few Neolithic Celts. A short historical background highlighting the prehistory of Goa and the location of prehistoric sites is shown in the map of Goa.

Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary

Along the north from Panaji on the road to Belgaum, is a sanctuary that covers 240-sq-kms. Thick forest clad the slopes of the Western Ghats that is rich in wildlife and a paradise for bird watchers. Police Outpost at the gateway of the sanctuary in calm and quiet surroundings is like a painting on a canvas in Malem. There are important geographical and historical features in this sanctuary. Jeeps on private arrangements go to the interior of the forest. Mahabir is particularly known for its Leopards, Elephants, Deers and Gaur Or Indian Bison.

It is more convienient to view wild animals from the Devil's Canion View Point. Bird lovers may also find their best time over here. The famous temple of Tambdisurla of the Kadambas is situated 13-km from here. In Mangalore To Margao journey on Konkan Railway one can enjoy Malem with Dudhsagar through the windows.

Bondla Forest

Up in the lush foothills of the Western Ghats, Bondla is good place to see Sambhar and Wild Boar. It is smallest of the Goan Wildlife Sanctuaries. Its area is 8-sq-kms but easiest one to reach. Situated 55-km from Panajim and 38-km from Margoa, the sanctuary includes a Botanical Garden, fenced Deer Park and Zoo, which is better than most, with reasonably spacious enclosures.

- A Nice Place For Outing : The zoo was originally established to house orphaned animals, but it's now also breeding colony for large species of deer. It covers 8-sq-kms of deciduous forest Bondla is a miniature zoo of caged animals and birds and a popular picnic destination for locals. Elephant rides are an attraction here.

- The Fauna : The hills to the southeast are populated by Monkeys, Wild Boar, Deer, Gaur, Langurs, Jackals, Pythons, and Leopards. Bondla is also another bird-watching haven like its counterparts at Chorao and Cotigao. Rangado river flows on the east of this forest and Madhel on its north. Bondla forest nest Bison, Wild Beer, Deer, Leopard, various types of serpent and birds. On to its way, the only mosque Safa Shahouri Masjid built by Ali Adilshah in 1560 can be seen at Ponda.

Cabo Palace(Cabo Raj Niwas)

Built in 1540 AD opposite Fort Aguada on the south headland of the river Mandovi, the Cabo (the Portuguese word for cape) Palace fortress housed the Franciscan monastery, which later (1594 AD) became the official residence of the Governor of Goa. Holding the most panoramic view one can witness in Goa with the Indian Ocean towards the west, the Bay of the river Mandovi and Fort Aguada on the north and the busy port of Mormugao.

The beauty, solitude and uniqueness and well-planned features are some of the main attractions of the Cabo. A small Chapel was constructed at the very end of the mansion dedicated to Our virgin lady of The cape (Nossa Senhora do Cabo). It also served as a landmark for the seafarers.

The Cabo Palace is now known as the Raj Bahavan, the official name given to the residence of the Governors of the States In India. It is also counted among the finest residences of Indian Governors and is indeed the oldest as no other residence of a Governor of a State in India had its origin to over four hundred years in the past.

Calangute Beach

A mere 45 minute bus ride up the coast from the capital, Calangute is Goa's busiest and most commercialized resort, and the flagship of the state government's bid for a bigger slice of India's package-tourist pie. In the 1970s and early 1980s, this once peaceful fishing Village epitomized Goa's reputation as a haven for hedonistic hippies.

Calangute Road

The Calangute Road, which leads towards the beach has gained prominence over years due to the wide variety of shopping avenues and showrooms that have soprung around it. With numerous banks, travel agencies, resorts, pubs, fast food joints sprinkled along the road the, Calangute Road has fast turned out to be an equal attraction as the Calangute beach. The road covers the area from Candolim right upto the Calangute beach, which is just across the Football ground. The bus stand and chapel near the Arpora / Anjuna turn are famous landmarks which are utilised by the tourists.


The Government of Goa had an innovative solution for approving the casinos in Goa. They permitted Casinos onboard ships thus subverting the requirement of having one built on the land. The Caravela Casino is located on a 215 ft cruise ship which is capable of accommodating more than 300 gamblers. The ship is permanently docked at the Panjim port and allures the gamblers with a promise of an eventful evening. The fun of gambling on Black Jack, American Roulette, Stud Poker, Pontoon and a plethora of other games is enhanced by the exquisite settings of the ocean visible from the first deck.

Chapel of Our Lady of The Mount

As one proceeds, about 2-km on the main road towards Ponda, a Kuchcha road branches off towards north at a place where a cross is fixed. The road leads to a hill on which, commanding a picturesque view, is the Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount. A series of steps leads to the Chapel, which is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar. It has three main altars dedicated respectively to our lady of the mount, St. Anthony and St. Andrew. The chapel was built under the orders of Afonso de Albuquerque in 1510 and is referred to as in existence in 1519. It was reconstructed twice.

Chapel of St. Catherine

The chapel was rebuilt in 1552 on the remains of an earlier structure, built in 1510 by Afonso de Albuquerque to commemorate his entry into the city on St. Catherine's Day. The earlier chapel was enlarged in 1550 by the Governor George Cabral, who put up an inscribed slab, which when translated, reads as follows: "Here in this place was the doorway through which Governor Afonso de Albuquerque entered and took this city from the Mohammadans on the day of St. Catherine in the year 1510 at the expenses of his Highness." Thus the chapel was built on the spot where stood the gates of this city under the Muslim rule.

Chapel of St. Sebastian

At the southern end of the neighbourhood, the pristine whitewashed Chapel of St. Sebastian is one of many Goan churches to remain faithful to the old colonial decree. It stands at the end of a small square where Fontainhas' Portuguese speaking locals hold a lively annual street fiesta to celebrate their patron Saint's day in mid-November. The eerily lifelike crucifix inside the chapel, brought here in 1812, formerly hung in the palace of the inquisition in Old Goa. Unusually, Christ's eyes are open - allegedly to inspire fear in those being interrogated by the inquisitors.

Church and Convent of St. Monica

In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary , is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite which was originally lime-plastered but is now plastered with cement. It is square on plan with a large inner courtyard, around which is a cloistered verandah and numerous cells and halls. The vaulted ceilings in some of the halls are tastefully painted with floral decorations and scenes from the Holy bible. The construction of the convent and the church of St. Monica was commenced in 1606 and completed in 1627. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1636 and re-built the following year.

The convent is also referred to as the royal monastery on account of the royal patronage it enjoyed. There were eleven chapels in the convent apart from the novitiate and the seminary for girls. The church in the monastery is dedicated to St. Mary. At present the building houses the Mater dei Institute for nuns, which was inaugurated in 1964.

Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception

Goan churches are well known for a strange amalgamation of Indian and Portuguese architecture .The Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception is an imposing building situated right at the main square (Church square) of the town. This place is a central place of worship and prayer for religious souls. The church was built in 1540 and underwent rebuilding and renovation in 1619. Modeled as per the structure of church of Reis Magos this church boasts of tall twin towers constructed in a typical Portuguese baroque style. Dedicated to 'Nossa Senhora da Imaculada Conceicao' the main altar of the church has been artfully carved in Renaissance style. The church bell is large and is in fact the second largest bell in Goa.

Church of Our Lady of The Rosary

Not far to the west of the Basilica of the Bom Jesus is the Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, it has a two-storeyed portico. The portico as well as the fa?ade of the church has rounded towers on either side with the cross on top. The roof of the church is tiled, supported by wooden rafters.

- The Chapels And Altars : There are two chapels and three altars. The main altar is dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary. The church, with windows near the roof and with rounded towers giving an impression of a fortress church, is Manuline in style though Gothic influence can be seen in the rib-vault at the portico.

- Cenotaph of Dona Catarina : To the right of the main altar is a marble cenotaph commemorating Dona Catarina whose marriage with Viceroy Garcia De Sa was performed by St. Francis Xavier. The cenotaph slightly projecting from the wall is artistically decorated with carved miniature pillars and inscriptions in Portuguese and has a triangular pediment crowned by a shell moulding. The foliage and other decorations emanating from a vase closely resemble those on the tombs of Gujarat, thus suggesting influence of a regional art-style.

Church of Reis Magos

The village of Verem which falls before the grand bridges of Panjim city is famous for 2 major landmarks. The Indian Naval Academy and Church of Reis Magos, constructed in 1555 in the memory of the Three Magic Kings. The church of Reis Magos celebrates the feast of Reis Magos on 6th of January every year and is a major event which is attended by masses across the river Mandovi. The church has a long history and has played host to all the dignitaries from the renowned Franciscan order and the other missions related to the order.

Church of St John of God

Situated to the east of the tower of St. Augustine it is a plain looking building constructed in the beginning of the 18th century. The convent was abandoned in 1835. The Society of the Misericordia occupied it for some time. From 1844 onwards, it was used as a residence for chaplains, confessors and others employed on behalf of the nuns of St. Monica. The roof of the church was removed in 1850. The present roof was built recently.

Church of St. Francis Xavier

Behind the gate of St. Paul's college is a Kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the chapel of St. Francis Xavier. It is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled roof supported by wooden rafters is a plain chapel with only one altar. Architecturally, it is of the Doric order. The Chapel was within the enclosure of the College of St. Paul and was dedicated either to St. Anthony or to St. Jerome. As the chapel was used by St. Francis Xavier, it was re-dedicated to him after his canonization in 1622. The original chapel was in existence in 1545. With the outbreak of the epidemic and the consequent abandoning of the college of St. Paul in 1570, the chapel fell into ruins and the present chapel was built in 1884.

Church of St.Cajetan(Our Lady of Divine Providence)

Opposite the Se Cathedral, beyond the road is the large and beautiful church of St. Cajetan built of laterite blocks, which were lime plastered. The fa?ade, having two towers on either side to serve as belfry, has Corinthian columns and pilasters supporting a pediment, and four niches in which are kept the statues of the apostles.

The main body of the church is Greek cross on plan internally and oblong externally, with a nave ending in an apse and aisles marked by four massive piers faced by Corinthian pilasters. These piers also form the base for supporting, at the crossing, a circular dome that rests on a drum and was crowned by a lantern. The ribbed vaults of the nave and aisles are of varying height and are coffered with different floral designs. The two-ocatgonal rooms having domical roofs on either side of the main altar serves as the sacristy.

There are six altars besides the main one, which is dedicated to our lady of divine providence. These altars are profusely carved and gilded in Baroque style with twisted shafts and figures of angles dominating in each. The altars also have paintings on canvas of the Italian school, some depicting scenes from the life of St. Cajetan. The niches running along the sides of the vault have wooden statues of saints.

Church of The Carmelites

Nothing remains of the Church of the Carmelites excepting the fa?ade and a raised pavement, which served as an altar. Its location is to the southeast of the Church of St. Cajetan and is on a hill more or less contiguous to the hill on which the Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount stands. The church was built in 1621. The Carmelites, on their refusing to take the Oath of Allegiance to the king, were expelled from Goa in 1707. The church fell into disuse and ruins soon after.

Church of The Cross of Miracles

On the southern outskirts of Old Goa is a hill on which stand this convent and church. Built of laterite, plastered with lime mortar, the plain looking church and the single storeyed convent with numerous cells are now in ruins. A church, specially built in 1619 to house the Cross of Miracles, having crumbled, the present church was built on the same spot in 1674. The Convent housed the congregation of the Oratory of Philip Neri of Goa. In 1835, the Church and the convent were abandoned. The Cross of Miracles was transferred to a chapel in the Se Cathedral in 1845.

Club Cubana

There are few places in Goa which have created a legend of their own. Club Cubana, for instance is one such place which has created its own loyal customer base which insists on entering the Club even during renovation shut down. The club is famous for its heady ambience and innovative idea of designated days which see the crowd soar as per the taste. Thus we have Hiphop day, Club night day, Ladies night, Model night, Transistor and pussycat to enchant the customers. The Techno / Trans music churned out by the DJs at Club Cubana is considered to be the best in Goan party scene and die hard fans make it a point to visit Goa just for a night at Club Cubana.

Club West End

It is not surprising to find pubs and clubs near the beaches of Goa becoming the focal points after sunset. However, a few clubs attract the regulars as well as the first timers due to the reputation gained and maintained over many years. Club West End is one such club, which comes across as a regular club until it unleashes its group of DJs (sometimes even a dozen of them) on the ever-ready crowds. There have been instances when the party has continued whole night with 11 DJs performing to the demands of ever-growing crowd.

Condolim Beach

Four or five years ago, Candolim, at the far southern end of Calangute beach, was a surprisingly sedate resort, appealing to an odd mixture of middle-class Bombayites, and Burgundy-clad Sannyasins taking a break from the Rajneesh Ashram at Pune


The general perception of a pub differs from country to country. A pub may indicate a joint serving only beer and some great steak to the Irishmen while the Ukrainians may look forward to Vodka, rum and great Mountain chicken. The Congo Pub on the Candolim Beach, in Goa is a great combination for all these attraction rolled into one and some great music as an added bonus. The pub located close to the beach is a hot spot for the regulars as well as for the newbie who continue their party sojourn right into this pub.

Corambolin Lake

Just east of Old Goa, the lily-covered Carambolin Lake has an enormous amount of waterfowl, many Egrets and Heron, Bronze-Winged, Pheasant-Tailed Jacana and thousands of exotic species such as Comb Duck and Cotton Pygmy-Goose.

Curly's Beach Shack

The Baga beach-Calangute road-Candolim stretch in Goa is extremely popular due to the long string of beach shacks. These beach shacks have a culture of their own and the crowd frequenting these shacks swears by the drinks, food and music dished out at them. The Curly's beach shack along the Little Anjuna Beach is an ideal evening joint. While cool evening breeze caresses your senses the soothing atmosphere, calm waves and enchanting music will relax the soul. The shack often lays out its seating arrangements on the beach in the moonlight while evening barbecues and bonfires are also lit on special occasions.

Devaki Krishna Temple

Like many of Goa's temples, the Devaki-Krishna Temple at Marchel was moved here from two previous locations, to be safe from oppression. The beautiful and unusual image in black stone is of the baby Krishna on his mother, Devaki.

Flea Markets

Flea Markets are an inseparable part of the folklore of Goa. With a rich coastline, the Flea markets are bound to thrive and the Anjuna Wednesday as well as the Arpora Saturday night markets are famous for their wide variety of goods trade. The markets basically present an opportunity to drink, eat, make merry and most importantly shop for some rare and antique as well as brand new goods. Originally started by foreigners trying to dispose off their second hand goods, the Flea markets have become an inseparable part of Goan culture. Articles on sale range from Tibetan craft, Kashmiri handicraft, jewellery stones, cheap clothes, bags, bakery items and electronic goods.


Panjim's oldest and most interesting district, Fontainhas, lies immediately west of Pato, overlooking the banks of the oily green Ourem Creek. From the footbridge between the bus stand and town centre, a dozen or so blocks of neoclassical houses rise in a tangle o terracotta rooftops up the sides of Altinho Hill. At siesta time, Vespas stand idle on deserted street corners, while women in western clothes exchange pleasantries with their neighbours from open windows and leafy verandahs. Many building have retained their traditional coat of ochre, pale, yellow, green or blue- a legacy of the Portuguese insistence that every Goan building should be colour washed after monsoons.

Friday Bazaar

Markets or Bazaars in Goa are looked up to as places that afford another opportunity for a festive time and the Mapusa Friday bazaar is no different. The market reaches its pinnacle on Fridays with crowds thronging it with wares and entertainment equipment from all the neighboring villages. Being a major marketplace for nearby villages and town, the bazaar attracts thousands of people every Friday. Various daily need goods as well as handicraft and electronic items are available at affordable and bargain able prices. It is common to see the resident foreigners scan the stall for some cheap and durable items to run their household in Goa.


The pubs and nightclubs of Goa have a culture of their own and mostly the crowd that frequents them decides it. Thus one has pubs and clubs that specialize in Trance music / techno / rock bands as well as the soothing 60s and the rocking 80s music. Geoffrey's pub has been popular amongst the old timers for the specialty of eighties music which is played or rather hummed in the ears of the customers at a very light but noticeable volume. The pub has maintained its identity right since inception and has not changed with the changing trends which is the exact reason why it has endeared itself to so many of the Goans as well as the visitors who come here just to enjoy a calm evening tipple and some memorable music.

Goa State Museum

Goa State Museum is located in Panjim, which is the capital city of Goa. This new museum complex, located in the EDC Complex in Patto, was inaugurated by the President of India when it first opened on June 18th, 1996. Prior to this date, artifacts was set up in the Department of Archives in Goa by the Archeology and Museum unit. Thereafter, a small museum was opened to the public on September 29th, 1977 in a rented building at St. Inez, also in Panjim. The museum currently has around 8,000 artifacts on display, which include stone sculptures, wooden objects, carvings, bronzes, paintings, manuscripts, rare coins, numismatic collection, and anthropological objects. It is well known among other museums for its collection of Hindu and Jain artifacts and scriptures.

Government Emporia

The Goan local handicraft and arts have evolved over the period and a fusion of the Portuguese and Indian style is quite remarkably prominent in the art-form of Goa. The Government Emporium is a platform provided for the artisans to display their work and coordinate with the buyers. Intricately beautiful artifacts, colorful masks, wooden toys, cotton and shopping bags, table mats made from sisal, coconut or pineapple raw fiber are a major hit amongst the buyers. Excellent terracotta and brass items also find a place in the Emporium. Crochet and embroidery, Batik prints, stone carving, Coconut shell carving, metal embossing, cotton dolls, woolen tapestry, Brass Metal Ware, Wooden Laquerware/Wood Turning, Crochet and Embroidery, Bamboo Craft are a few of the specialties which are encouraged by the Emporium.

Grey Girls Pub

The Grey Girls Pub on Calangute beach becomes the main attraction once the sun decides to stop for the day and retires. The party crowd that has gathered on the beach turns their attention towards the nearby shacks and clubs to continue the party mood. The Grey Girls with its excellent ambiance and exact location provides a ready option to all those groups who set upon the task of searching for new avenues. Great music, clean and electric ambiance and some wonderful bartenders complete the party experience. In fact, many regulars travel from across the country just to attend special day functions at the pub and meet some old mates.

Holiday Street

The Calangute beach and its surrounding area host many curious vendors exhibiting their wares from Kashmir to Tibet and South India. The Holiday Street, which runs parallel to the beach, is one place where many small shacks and stalls are arranged to form a serpentine queue of these curio shops. The goods available range from authentic Kashmir shawls and woolens, handicraft articles, Himalayan curios as well as junk and silver metal and jewelery tracing its origin right back to Kolkata. The Gujarati, Rajasthani, Karnataka handloom and handicraft stalls boast their expertise in textiles. Many foreigners have also set up small shops for selling their goods and making some quick buck.

Ingo's Night Market

The Saturday night gathering when started in 1999 was a low key affair with a motley group of westerners turning up with their beers and guitars for a night of gossip and musical extravaganza. However a German citizen named Ingo separated from this group and started his own night market at Arpora and permitted people to set up shops after paying him some premium. Now the market has acquired gigantic proportion and carnival atmosphere prevails around the stalls (hundreds of them). The elders and the men drink beer, meet friends and enjoy while the ladies shop, gossip and the children enjoy the festive revelry with full gusto.

Kesarval Springs in Panaji

Situated 22-km from Panaji on Verna plateau just off the Panaji -Margao highway, the spring emerges from hard compact rocks and people bathe in its water with strong belief that it has medicinal properties.

La Plage

There are few pleasures that equal the experience of lying under a starry night listening to a cool dude strum his guitar and sing your favourite song while the bonfire crackles and barbecue steak smells exquisite. The beach shack of La Plage promises you just that and much more. The shack quietly tucked at one corner of the Anjuna comes alive as the stars shine and the moon radiates with full shine. The regulars quietly slip away from their regular rigmaroles, turn towards La Plage for a pleasant evening full of memorable music, tasty, and lip smacking food and cocktails to up the spirit that climbs several notches with the ever-increasing crowd.

Loekie Cafe

It is said that restaurants and Cafes mature and become more alluring with age, just like old wine. The Loekie cafe has just completed 14 years of great service and has soared in ratings as one of the leading food and relaxation joints of Goa. The highlights of the Caf? has to be the recent upgradation of infrastructure, world class service staff and some great preparations churned out of the chefs kitchen. The Caf? very proudly displays and implements its logo of "Experience the bliss". The Caf? is located at the very heart of the city, just near Arambol beach and enjoys the patronage of many old timers and a lot of tourist crowd.

MG Road

The name of Mahatma Gandhi invokes a sense of respect and awe for the great man while the streets named after him in almost all major Indian metros are full of life and zest. The festive atmosphere and availability of countless shopping avenues are the main attractions. The M.G. Road in Goa is no different and is like a central location in Panjim starting from Panajim (Ribander) and literally circles Panjim right upto the Campal. The road is accompanied by the waterfront and presents a marvelous picture of itself in the reflection in water. Famous for numerous shopping arcades and stalls the MG Road presents an opportunity to the tourists to procure some of the typical Goan artifacts and memorabilia.

Mahadev Tambadi Surla Temple

During the reign of Kadambas, in the 13th century, the Goan territory thrived in all directions due to benign administration of the enlightened rulers. Several temples were built for all the gods of Hindu Pantheon, like Nageswar, Vithal, Santadurga, Mahalaxmi (also spelt as Mahalakshmi), Ramnath, etc. Unfortunately, most of them were razed to ground by the aliens, who are aliens to culture and refinement. After more than 400 years of darkness, some of the surviving shrines opened their doors to carry on activities for public benefit.

On account of foreign impact, many temples seem to be putting on a veneer of western civilisation, but deep examination shows, that the core of Hindu culture remained untainted, immaculate and dynamic.

Mahalakshmi Temple

Mahalaxmi is the Goddess of power and strength. She is believed to be an incarnation of . Adishakti. -the supreme power and energy. The Shaktas, among the Saraswats, worshipped Adishakti in the form of the linga. Many accept her as Pallavi, their supporting deity, believing that this Goddess of tremendous strength and power was released when the devas and rakshasas were churning the ocean for amrita (nectar). On their arrival in Goa, the Saraswats, who had brought the Mahalaxmi idol with them, built a temple at Bhanda-Vatika or Bhandiwade village in the Atrunja taluka.

Most of the Saraswats, however, were then living at Tiswadi and Sasasti talukas and had to cross a river and travel a long distance to worship the deity. So they established at Kolva, just 6 km from Madgaon, another Mahalaxmi temple, on the banks of the Arabian Sea.

Mayem Lake

Just east of Old Goa, the lily-covered Carambolin Lake has an enormous amount of waterfowl, many Egrets and Heron, Bronze-Winged, Pheasant-Tailed Jacana and thousands of exotic species such as Comb Duck and Cotton Pygmy-Goose.

Miramar Beach

On the way to Dona Paula, 1-km ahead of the confluence of the Arabian Sea and Mandvi River, under the palm shade, is "Gasper Dias" or Miramar Beach and is just 3-km away from the capital city of Panjim. In Portuguese language 'Miramar' stand for viewing the sea. Situated on a good location for evening walks, the coast is spread upto 2-km, having a fine silvery sand bed. From here one has an excellent view of the Aguada fort just across the Mandovi River.

Ozone Pub

This Pub at the Marroitt on Miramar beach, Goa is one place where the term letting your hair down gets a new meaning. The pub has been artfully done up by creating a modern bar and some creatively carved out space for the crowds to kick back and have a good time. The vibrant beach atmosphere trickles down to the pub and the heady mix of cocktails served by the bartenders add an additional punch to the whole setup. The pub has a modern vibe which makes guests relax and enjoy the ambiance.

Pine Shack

Generally, the crowd entering Goa has fun and frolic on their mind and the roving eyes search for avenues that can help fulfill the fantasy. The younger crowds prefer the eardrum rupturing techno music and smoke filled floors while the elders as well as many youngsters as well prefer the calm and more soothing experience of the Pine shack where lying under the twinkling stars one experience the magic of live guitar strumming and beach barbecue while the bonfire shimmers in background. The experience at the Pine Shack is a memorable one with some affordable drinks, food served on the mini cots laid on the beach as the waves splash along the coast, and peace prevails. It is common to find many people nodding off to deep slumber only to wake up in the morning at the doorsteps of Pine Shack.

Primrose Club

Primrose Club or the Prem Rose Club as the locals know it is one of those clubs in Goa which have attained legendary status due to its rapid growth in party circles and popularity amongst the party hoppers. Believed to be a small tea stall in the past, the Primrose club came into prominence once the hippies made it their second home along with all the flower power. The club, which has improved by leaps and bound, has a vast area to boast with green lawns, trees and an extra large dance floor. Neon lights glow from available space inside the club while the bartender created a curious mix of colourful cocktails and the party crowd surges from 2000 hrs to late night till the scene shifts to some other rave party sites. It easy to reach here since the all roads from Anjuna to Calangute would be leading to this club and one can witness an exodus of bikers moving towards this place.

Rio Rico Bar

The Mandovi hotel is situated on a very scenic spot and has been so since a long time. It is the beautiful location, great food that is served by the hotel and the Rio Rico bar on the top floor of the hotel, which makes this hotel a hit amongst the locals as well as the tourists. The bar on the top offers spectacular views of the Mandovi River as well as the beautiful amalgamation of the river waters with the great ocean. The scene becomes romantic in the evenings when the riverfront comes alive with many moving parties adding color to the river.

Rock Your Blues Pub

Apart from standalone pubs, there are numerous pubs and discotheques, which are owned and run by the bigger hotels in Goa. The Taj Aguada hotel houses the famous Rock Your Blues Pub. This creatively designed and executed pub is a major draw amongst the crowd visiting Aguada fort and beach. The spacious floor and decorated bar are just the ingredients which make the pub a great joint served by some ever smiling and ready to help staff. The party ambiance is further accentuated by some great music and variation presented by the Pub DJs who create a separate atmosphere everyday based on the theme.

Royal Chapel of St. Anthony

To the west of the tower of St. Augustine is the Royal Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, the national saint of Portugal and held in great veneration by the Portuguese. It was built in the beginning of the 17th century. In 1835 the chapel was closed but opened again in 1894 when it was also renovated. It was inaugurated again in 1961 after complete restoration done by the Portuguese Government.


The idyllic suburb of Candolim holds a treasure chest by the name of Rust, offering numerous gems of creative geniuses to adorn the houses. Located on the Candolim street, Rust is a spacious lifestyle store, which is famous for its magnificent collection of all types of furniture, various conversation pieces, decorative and artifacts. The studio pottery on display at Rust is a marvelous example of innovative creativity of the local artisans. The prices of all the commodities are reasonable and the quality is top notch coming along with solid warranty. The best offering by Rust is the "Rust's incredible chocolaterie" which is not to be missed at any cost.

Sao Tome

Sao tome ward is the other old quarter, lying north of Fontainhas on the far side of Emilio Gracia Road. This is the area to head for if one fancy a bar crawl: the narrow streets are dotted with dozens of hole-in-the -wall taverns, serving cheap, stiff measures of rocket fuel 'Feni' under strip lights and the watchful gaze of colourful Madonnas.

Saptakoteshwara Temple

As one tries to return to Panaji from Harvalem, one can visit the famous temple of Sri Saptakoteshwar Naroa, Bicholim. Sri Saptakoteshwara was the patron deity of the Kadambas who had built a beautiful temple dedicated to this deity at the Diwar Island. The invading foreign rulers destroyed the temple and built a chapel dedicated to Candelaria in 1641 AD. The image of Sri Saptakoteshwara was shifted to Naroa by the devotees then. It was Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj who ordered renovation of the temple in 1668.

The famous Saptakoteshwara temple is a standing specimen of medieval architectural style and mirrors the rulers' refinement and artists, superior craftsmanship. It is elegantly beautified with sculptural adornments. It is a big temple with imposing tower, vast courtyards and several mini-shrines for all the premier Shaivate gods. The Archamurti- Shivalinga is called "Dhara-Linga". Its majesty and glistening polish forces one to raise his hands and fills the souls with bliss. It was the favoured deity of the kings.

Se Cathedral

The Portuguese Viceroy Redondo commissioned the Se, or St. Catherine's' Cathedral, southwest of St. Cajetan's, to be "a grandiose church worthy of the wealth, power and fame of the Portuguese who dominated the seas from the Atlantic to the Pacific". Today it stands larger than any church in Portugal, although it was beset by problems, not least a lack of funds and Portugal's temporary loss of independence to Spain. It took eighty years to build and was not consecrated until 1640.

St. Augustine's Tower

Built in 1602, the only ruin of the Church of St. Augustine on the Holy Hill at Old Goa near the Nunnery, is a lofty 46-metre high tower defying the torrential rains. The tower is one of the four of St. Augustine Church that once stood there. There were eight richly adorned chapels and four altars, and a convent with numerous cells and artistic columns attached to the church.

The Church when intact was perhaps the biggest in Goa. With the religious suppression in 1835, the Augustinians deserted the church and the convent. The latter was used for some time by the charitable institution of the Misericordia. The buildings fell into neglect resulting in the collapse of the vault on 8 September 1842. The Government appropriated the property selling the materials the following year. The fa?ade and half of the tower fell in 1931 and some more parts of it collapsed in 1938.

The Bar Pub

Goa offers numerous options for the tipple lovers. Moreover, the variety and easy availability of liquor does not necessarily entice every drinker to go on a binge and bar owners make special efforts to lure the drinkers in groups or single. The Bar Pub, which is located near the Calangute beach generally, attracts customers from the beach. However, the special d?cor and musically inclined interiors attracts many regulars from across Goa. Apart from a heady mix of cocktails The Bar also offers numerous exquisite dishes specially made by the cooks and of course the carnival atmosphere, which oozes from every inch of the pub.

The Church of St. Francis of Assisi

To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assisi. The structure is built of laterite blocks and is lime-plastered. The church faces west and has a nave with three chapels on either side, a choir, two altars in the transept and a main altar. To the north of the main altar is a belfry and a sacristy. The convent, which forms an annexure to the church, now houses the Archaeological Museum.

- The Architectural Grandeur : The exterior of the Church is of the Tuscan Order while the main entrance is in Manuline style. The main altar is Baroque with Corinthian features. There are no aisles but only a nave, which is rib-vaulted. The internal buttress walls, separating the chapels and supporting the gallery on top, have frescoes showing intricate floral designs.

The Gate Of The Palace of Adil Shah

The Palace of Adil Shah at Old Goa was the most prominent building with magnificent lofty staircases. It was the residence of the Portuguese governors till 1695, and was afterwards used by them on festive occasions. It was deserted during the epidemic in the 18th century, was demolished in 1820 and the materials carried to Panjim for construction of houses. Now only the gate remains which is architecturally purely Brahminical in style. Six steps in front of the gate lead to the raised platform on which the gate stands. It is made of basalt and consists of a horizontal lintel resting on pillars decorated with mouldings and having on the outer side fragmentary perforated screens.

The Palace of Adil Shah at Old Goa was the most prominent building with magnificent lofty staircases. It was the residence of the Portuguese governors till 1695, and was afterwards used by them on festive occasions. It was deserted during the epidemic in the 18th century, was demolished in 1820 and the materials carried to Panjim for construction of houses. Now only the gate remains which is architecturally purely Brahminical in style. Six steps in front of the gate lead to the raised platform on which the gate stands. It is made of basalt and consists of a horizontal lintel resting on pillars decorated with mouldings and having on the outer side fragmentary perforated screens.

The Gate of The College of St. Paul

The College of St. Paul, once the principal institution of Jesuits in India for imparting knowledge on Christianity, was built over the ruins of a mosque south of St. Cajetan's church at Old Goa in 1542. However, it was abandoned during the outbreak of plague in 1570 and went into disuse.

The Government demolished this ruining structure in 1832 to carry materials for building construction in Panaji. What remains of the college that was completed in 1542 and of the collegiate church consecrated on 25 January 1543 is the fa?ade in the shape of an arch with a niche at the top and a cross crowning it. The arch that led to the College as a gateway is built of laterite, flanked on either side by a basalt column of the Corinthian order on raised plinth, and supported by basalt pilasters of the Doric order.

The Gatsby Pub

The Gatsby's Pub is one of those where the party lovers can shake their legs while enjoying the cocktails and music. It's located in South Goa which is not well known for Pubs and discotheques. In fact Gatsby's is the only disco in South Goa and also doubles as a stand alone pub for those cocktail lovers. Another attraction of the Gatsby's is the 24 hours open coffee shop which offers only coffee (no other drinks) and lot of parking space which takes care of one of the biggest pains in Goa.

The Pillory

Where the Kuchcha road branches off from the road to Neura, leading to the Church and Convent of the Cross of Miracles , is a lone pillar on a raised platform, which once occupied the central place in the city square, and was used for punishing offenders of the law, who were tied to it and publicly whipped. It was in use during the Portuguese rule till the end of the 17th century. The pillar, which is of basalt, had iron rings fixed to it and from its shape and mouldings it appears that the pillar might have formed part of a Brahmanical temple.

The Professed House

Immediately to the south of the main road is the Professed House, a two-storeyed laterite building covered with lime plaster. Despite the opposition, which the Jesuits faced, the building was completed in 1585. A part of the building was accidentally burnt down in 1663 and was rebuilt in 1783.

The Raffles

The Candolim Beach is famous not only for its serene atmosphere and a long stretch of peaceful silvery beach with minimal commercial activities but also for a cozy little pub called The Raffles. The pub is located near the beach and offers a place, which is quite, and soothing during the daytime, loud, and vibrant during the evenings and nights. The interiors have been artfully done up to represent the festivities and frolic, which are a trademark of Goa. The bar and the floor are dimly lit during the daytime and become a shimmering lightening during the happy hours.

The Secretariat, Panjim

The road that runs north from the church brings you out at the riverside near Panjim's oldest surviving building. With its sloping tiled roofs, carved stone coats of arms and wooden verandahs, the stalwart secretariat looks typically colonial. Yet it was originally The Summer Palace of Goa's 16th century Muslim ruler, the 'Adil Shah. Later, the Portuguese converted it into a temporary rest house for the territory's Governors and then a residence for the Viceroy.

Today, it accommodates the Goan State Legislature. Hundred metres east from the building is situated a peculiar statue of a man holding his hands over the body of an entranced reclining woman shows Abbe Farin, a Goan priest who emigrated to France to become one of the world's first professional hypnotists.

The Town - Panjim

Until a decade ago, most visitors' first glimpse of Panjim was from the decks of the Old Bombay steamer as it chugged into dock at the now defunct ferry ramp. These days, however, despite the recent inauguration of the Konkan railway, and Damania's catamaran service from Mumbai, the town is most usually approached by road - from the north via the huge Ferro-concrete bridge that spans the Mandovi estuary, or from the south on the recently revamped NH-7, which links the capital with the airport and railhead at Vasco da Gama.

Either way, one will have to pass through the suburb of Pato, home of the main Kadamba Bus Terminal, before crossing Ourem Creek to arrive in proper Panjim. West of Fontainhas, the picturesque Portuguese quarter, the commercial centre's grid of long straight streets fans out west from Panjim's principal landmark, Church Square. Further north, the main thoroughfare, Avenida Dom Joao Castro, sweeps past the Head Post Office and Secretariat Building, before bending west along the waterfront.

The Viceroy's Arch

The main road in front of the Church of St. Cajetan leads to the river Mandovi through an archway known as the Viceroy's Arch. The arch is made of laterite except for the fa?ade on the riverside which is facetted with greenish granite. The fa?ade has a niche at the top with a statue in stone of Vasco da Gama. Correspondingly, in the rear, is a statue of the Argonaut. There are two inscribed slabs alongside the walls in the arch.

Though the original structure was built soon after the conquest of the city by the Portuguese, the arch underwent considerable changes. The arch was completely re-built in 1954 retaining the statues excepting the bronze statue of St. Catherine, which was at the top of the structure in a separate niche. The inscription on the original arch recording that the arch was rebuilt by the Governor, Francisco da Gama, can still be seen on this arch. Another inscription on it is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, commemorating the emancipation of Portugal from Spain in 1656.

Toff Toff's

Goa, the most visited tourist spots in India is also known to have a eclectic nightlife. The array of bars and pubs in the city keeps both tourists and locals beguiled all throughout the night. One of such bar in Goa is Toff Toff's. It is a small bar known for its unique and very friendly ambiance. Toff Toff's located on Calangute beach is popular amongst its visitors for Draught beer. Quiz and bingo nights on Tuesdays also draws many visitors to the bar both tourists and locals alike. An ideal place for fun, frisk and relaxation visitors are sure to have a great time at Toff Toff's. An impressive pub, where one can spend quality time with their friends. The intoxicating music in the pub can make anyone move and groove on the dance floor to their heart's content.

Villa Sol

The Villa Sol hospitality is sure to mesmerize the visitors with an array of facilities and pleasant service staff. The place has been tastefully decorated and remodeled with an aim to create a comfort zone for all visitors, no matter from which culture or location they belong. Thus, the distinct character of the place and contemporary construction is bound to impress and relax the visitors. The hotel staff specializes not only in service with a smile but also creating a comfortable atmosphere which the visitors absorb and thoroughly enjoy the experience of amazing blend of Indian as well as Western cuisines, Popular bar, Swimming pool, Safe Deposit Lockers, Billiards area, Communication Facilities, Barbeques and a lot more than expected.

Vithal Temple

From Kansarpal one can proceed to Sanquelim, the hometown of the Ranes of Satari who played key role in Goa's freedom struggle. The ancestors of the present Rane family, who are believed to have migrated to Goa from Udaipur about 600 years ago, built the famous Sri Vithal temple situated on the bank of Valvanta River. The temple was reconstructed in 1942 AD, incorporating the North India style of temple architecture though sanctum-sanctorium was left untouched. The main festivities at the temple are held during the nine days preceding "Chairtra Purnima". An exquisitely carved wooden chariot symbolising the chariot of Arjuna of Mahabharata and driven by Lord Krishna is an important attraction of the temple complex.

Other Places
  • Mandovi River, Wooded Valley Harbour, Coastal Resorts etc.

  • Excursions
    go to Goa

    Goa Tour
    Planning For Vacations
    Tell Our Expert Your Travel Plan
    Get FREE Travel Options
    Enjoy Your Vacations
    Arrow Get Best Deals!